20 May 2013

In Memoriam


                      Walter LeRoy Grimes
                                            19 June 1931-21 March 2012

This is one of my favorite photographs of my grandfather, Walter.  The little girl he is holding is my mother.  The photo was taken in October of 1953 which would have made my mother a little over a year old at the time.  My grandfather was a police officer for many years and was the deputy sheriff of Harrisonville, MO when a shooting spree took place on the square there.  He was a mild spoken man but boy could he talk.  You could get him going on any number of subjects.  It really didn't matter what it was.  He just liked to talk. 

Here's a link to a news article on the shootings on the Harrisonville, Mo square:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2199&dat=19720425&id=HiQyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SOcFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5370,7933094 

No comments:

Post a Comment