28 February 2013

Rant of the Day

One of my biggest pet peeves has to be the all-knowing genealogist.  We've all experienced them at one point or another.  The ones that offer "constructive criticism" tinged with an air of superiority.  Your research and analysis is wrong but theirs is infallible.  THOSE genealogists.  

Now, I am all for constructive criticism.  Heck, I'm happy if you can prove my research is flawed.  I would much rather have an accurate understanding of my family history than to have it full of mistakes and flaws.  That being said, there are those who get down right nasty when you present a counter-argument to their "infallible" research.   They are more than happy to prove you wrong, but will not see the flaws in their own research.  Quite frankly, I have no use for you.  Don't even bother contacting me.  You will be ignored.  

For the most part, I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the genealogical community.  It is a diverse community that ranges from the beginner to the long-time professionals.  It is a community of sharing and generosity.  It is filled with wonderful people who share the need to know their heritage. So, to all my genealogical friends out there, thank you, for all your help and encouragement.   It is noted and appreciated.  Whew!  I feel better!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for ranting! I share your views. I am currently starting the Evidence section of my BU certificate. We are learning all about writing proof arguements. Oi! My head is spinning.
    Overall I have found the genealogy community supportive, but it too had its bad apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to rant now and then! I just cannot stand a closed mind! Absolutely drives me crazy. There's always those few in every aspect of life.

      Delete
  2. Here's a little laugh to make you feel more in control of life. The other day someone wrote to one of my lists, saying that he is related the the 'Greens' because Mrs. Black lived next door to Mrs. Blue and he knew that Mrs. Blue and Mrs. Green went to the same church and were also friends with Mrs. Brown, therefore he is related to the Greens. He was so proud to have figured out this tree. And no, I am not making that up. Names were changed to protect the real family but he truly did have a story about that convoluted with nary a sign of a real "related" connection in there anywhere. Our resident expert on that list did such a cool job of nudging him toward seeing that is not what the word 'related' means...someone who once spoke to or saw from a distance, etc. I was impressed at his gentleness and firmness. I am still guffawing so would not have done a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is too funny! Bless his heart for trying! I'm glad your expert found a way to explain it gently. Like I said, there is a way to make your point about anything without having to get nasty and codescendiing about it. Thanks for sharing this! It's funny but also somewhat endearing.

      Delete