13 February 2013

The Rebel and the Love Poem

My ancestor, Capt. George Denison, wrote this poem to his first wife, Bridget. Bridget was the daughter of John and Alice (Freeman) Thompson.  My descent in through his second wife, Anne Borodell, daughter of John Borodell.  I'm also a descendant of John and Alice Thompson through Bridget's sister, Dorothy (Thompson), Parke.  Happy Valentine's Day!

"It is an ordinance, my dear divine
Which God unto the sons of men makes shine.
Even marriage is that whereof I speak
And unto you my mind therein I beak.
In Paradise, of Adam, God did tell
To be alone, for man, would not be well.
He in His wisdom thought it right
To bring a woman into Adam's sight.
A helper that for him might be most meet
And comfort him by her doing discreet.
I of that stock am sprung, I mean from him
And also of that tree I am a limb
A branch though young, yet do I think it good
That God's great vows by man be not withstood.
Alone I am, a helper I would find
Which might give satisfaction to my mind.
The party that doth satisfy the same
Is Mistress Bridget Thompson by her name.
God having drawn my affections unto thee
My Heart's desire is thine may be to me.
Thus with my blottings though I trouble you
Yet pass these by cause I know not how
Though they at this time should much better be
For love it is the first have been to thee
And I wish that they much better were.
Therefore I pray accept them as they are
So hoping my desire I shall obtain.
Your own true lover, I, George Denison by name.
From my father's house in Roxbury
To Miss Bridget Thompson, 1640."
DENISON NEWSLETTER (July 1985), No.77, p.4 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment